Saturday, December 03, 2005

Age and Beauty

Gardening and photography seemed to compliment each other well. Either that or I make pictures like I make gardens. I seem to obsess over one kind of plant at a time. Right now it is hydrangeas. Instead of seeking out cool varieties to buy and plant, I am obsessed with taking pictures of them. I don't mean to bore the folks that look at my pictures it just that I can't seem to help myself.

Because of this, I have discovered how truly beautiful the aging flowers of hydrangeas are. If I was not a gardener would I have noticed this before? I have liked this shrub for the past six or so years now. Before that I thought they were a bit on the 'over the top' side. A little too big and bouncy for me. Like most things in the garden my taste change and I start to appreciate all sorts of shrubs and perennials that I otherwise used to ban from my little sanctuary. Funny how that happens over and over again. I'm learning never to say"I would never have one of those in my garden!".

Thank goodness I was not the usual garden clean freak this year and deadheaded my hydrangeas. I would have missed a lovely lesson on age and beauty.
 Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to do that also. Obsess over different plants in my garden for a while with the camera.

My neighbors must really think I'm a total nutcase, crawling around on the ground and creeping around my yard with a camera. hahaha!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hi Shannon

I'm sure mine do too. One day I was on my roof taking pictures and my next door neighbor was standing there shnking his head at me.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I meant to say "shaking" his head. Believe or not I used to be an excellent speller. LOL.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an obsessor (obsesser?), I obsess over different plants too--especially with the camera--but I think it is because the camera lets us look & look & look in all directions & light &, as you write here, the aging of the plant. I don't tire of looking at the same plant photographed because it always looks different each time. That hint of color in this hydrangea photo is gorgeous as well as the angle you looked at the flower.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy

I hope you publish these pictures in a book one day because they are a greater standard than most famous photographers.
I love the black & white background and the colours in the flower.

You make flowers into Angels

*beautiful*

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that all flowers have a wonderful cycle to enjoy... and of course to photograph. Each stage is beautiful, from the bud to the dead, torn, weathered and spent bloom.

Hydrangeas are one of my favorites!

5:16 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Wow! What a nice compliment Abe/Happy! Thank you.

Thanks for stopping by Rock. Your photos are very inspiring and I look at them often.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I find that I also have plant obsessions, but not with the camera. If I like a particular plant, then I have a need to collect as many varieties of that plant as I can. Some of my past or current 'obsessions' are Fuchsias, Pelargoniums (Regal/Zonal/Ivy-leafed), Arctotis, Gazanias, Salvias, Buddlieas, and Abutilon (Chinese Lantern).

I bought two lace-cap hydrangeas at the markets yesterday. I also love the oak-leafed variety of hydrangea.

I love your close-up photos of plants; it really makes one focus on the particular beauty of the plant, not just the plant as a whole.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! A beautiful job with the desaturation, lovely color combination.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thank you Judith and thanks for taking the time to leave some comments. Your photo's are stunning and thank you for the inspiration! I spent alot of time looking at them.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home