Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fall Color Everywhere!

Fall is my favorite season as I'm sure I've mentioned several times. My garden looks like it is plugged in right now with all the fall colors. Shrubs and trees are such an important part of a garden I believe. They are statement plants. When I choose a tree or a shrub, it has to be impressive in more than just one season. My trees have to look good in preferably all four seasons. Nice flowers, good structure, great fall color and hopefully nice bark. I have twinkle lights in my trees so they look really cool on snowy winter nights.

Much the same goes for my shrub choices. I research for a long time before I buy a shrub or tree. There are so many good ones out there why not get the biggest bang for your buck!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Fall is definitely my favorite season & my favorite fall color is yellow. That's usually the first color I notice when fall rolls in too. Some of the trees around here almost glow. It's gorgeous.

I'm certainly not the photographer you are, but still, every fall, I snap pics of the glowing trees in my neighborhood.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hi Lisa,I think I notice red first. I love all the colors of fall though!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I also love the Fall (Autumn, here)not just for the beautiful leaf colours but also knowing that there won't be any more really hot weather. I particularly love the red colourings, but I used to drive past a last stand of trees along a river and the yellow of their leaves seemed to change the entire light in that area. Unfortunately, they were all destroyed in the bushfires of 2003. Canberra, being a planned city, has an enormous number of deciduous trees (which are not native to Australia) planted both as street trees and in private and public gardens. We have Poplars, Elms, Maples, Oaks, Ash, Liquidamber, Nyssa, Cedrella and once the first frosts arrive the colours deepen and whole streets become stunning beautiful.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

That was meant to be 'large' stand of trees, not 'last'.

1:16 PM  
Blogger jac said...

So true

7:14 PM  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

Your so right Sandy it is a beautiful time of the year! It msut be sad to live somewhere where you have no seasons. We have a very warm fall here so far which is very unsual. We've still had 21 degree celsius yesterday, but in the evening the fog is falling down and everything looks so mysterious then.

Your trees and bushes are fantastic, one can see that you did not just take what you could get, but that you've really thought about the impact. Very good work!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thank you Carol. I read Nursery catalogues for bedtime reading lol. 21c Wow. Lucky you! It has been very wet and windy here.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home