Sunday, September 11, 2005

Garden Snobs....How boring!

It seems no matter what kind of hobby you get into, you will eventually encounter some form of snobbery. Gardening is a individual hobby unless you are lucky enough to share it with a spouse. (Preferrably your own). I think anyone who plants anything and enjoys it is a gardener. Maybe not a all out obsessive gardener like myself, but hey some people really do have a life.

There are always going to be people out their that judge others no matter what hobby you do. Horses were really bad. Extreme snobbery there! I'm sure now I want to get into photography I'll find it there. So what. It is bound to happen and if you worry about what others think you will never take the chance to learn something new that you might end up being good at. So I'm prepared to take millions of terrible pictures and learn from my mistakes because it is something that I enjoy doing. Another thing.....I have always felt that people who judge others are insecure in themselves.

So with that little rant of my chest.....go out and enjoy your garden. After all, it's all about you.

10 Comments:

Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

"Preferably your own" LOL...you crack me up.

I agree. Anyone who enoys caring for and watching grow whatever they plant is a gardener.

I do think that the post in question came off more "arrogant" than it was intended. It is very difficult when blogging to insure that your readers take your comments the way you meant for them to be. That is why we use so many LOL's, smiley faces, etc...

I know my Mom hates to garden. She does, however, stick in a few annuals along the sidewalk. She grudginly waters them, but does little else. I would not consider her a gardener. I think maybe that is the kind of person the author meant.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'm sure you are right Zoey. I probably just took it the wrong way. It just came across to me as negative.

1:39 PM  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Thanks for that thought Sandy. I needed those words. I have just incountered a snobby group. I am having visions of horse people.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I have to admit whenever I incounter snobbery, it brings back my horse days. Wendy these people obviously just don't realize there is no one better than you!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

Great subject - gardening snobbery. But I think we've actually come a long way since the bad old days of garden clubs filled with wealthy old white women who exclude everyone else. I've heard tales of people being kicked out of clubs because they got divorced! Even my own club (in an ultra liberal town) was restrictive into the early '70s. You had to be "sponsored," which is how they kept out people they considered undesirable. We still have folks like that running our local garden club federation, but they're dying out and not being replaced.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Wow Susan! That just floors me! Gardening is just not a competitive sport to me. I have never understood what makes some people think they are better than someone else. I guess I'm just not build that way.

6:54 PM  
Blogger jac said...

I do love plants and gardening, it is most unfortunate that I don't get enough time.
Snobbery is an attitude.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Welcome jac! A bad attitude at that.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Amen sister!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Well said! I've come across a bit of that in the rose gardening area. I just plant what I love and to hell with the rest of the folks who don't like it. ;)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home